Re: The role of media types for XML content

2005-06-14 16:59:53

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 08:06:36AM +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:
[...]
I have said that specialized media types for XML-based vocabularies are
ad-hoc solutions which do not work for multi-namespace documents
Here I agree with you.  The architectures clearly don't match at all:
Internet media types simply don't work for this sort of document today.
Mozilla Firefox is making this clear -- it supports XHTML with
embedded MathML and SVG for example, in either order, and perhaps
with XHTML and SVG and mathML inside the SVG...

and that proliferation of specialized media types blocks future use
of multi-namespace documents.
I don't think it's blocking future use.  I think in the long term we
have to rethink how multi-namespace XML documents are handled.

But that should not stop us from using the existing infrastructure as
best and as helpfully as we can in the meantime.

I'd like to see a registration for the XML syntax simply because
it's useful today, despite the limitations.

Best,

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/