Re: The role of media types for XML content

2005-06-14 16:06:36

Chris>
Chris> MM> However, unless such significant changes are endorsed, I continue
Chris> MM> to be very reluctant to register a specialized media type for
Chris> MM> the RELAX NG XML syntax.
Chris>
Chris> I don't see how the issue of how/whether to point to a portion of an xml
Chris> resource which happens to be in RNG, has *any* bearing on the issue of
Chris> what media type to use when RNG is served as a stand-alone document,
Chris> which is by far the typical case at the moment. There is no dependency
Chris> there.

I have said that specialized media types for XML-based vocabularies are
ad-hoc solutions which do not work for multi-namespace documents and
that proliferation of specialized media types blocks future use
of multi-namespace documents.  I thus see strong dependency.

Chris> MM> After all, it is ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 that is requesting the
Chris> MM> registartion of a media type for the RELAX NG compact syntax. In its
Chris> MM> last meeting, SC34 decided to request this media type, but did not
Chris> MM> consider a specialized media type for the RELAX NG XML syntax.
Chris>
Chris>
Chris> So, now I am asking them to consider it. Will you convey this request to
Chris> them, or do I need to convey it by a more formal mechanism?

I can formally raise this issue in the next SC34 meeting in November and
can also informally contact SC34 members now.  However, between now and
Novembmer, SC34 WG1 can do nothing.  ISO/IEC JTC1 has no mechanisms for
making decisions other than formal meetings.

Chris> MM>  Since we are talking about
Chris> MM> media types in the standard tree, the media type for the RNG compact
Chris> MM> syntax can go to the IESG but that for the RNG XML syntax cannot.
Chris>
Chris> I don't follow your last point there.

As far as a specialized media type for the RNG XML syntax in the
standard tree is concerned, nothing can be done before November.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata(_at_)hokkaido(_dot_)email(_dot_)ne(_dot_)jp>