RE: VIRUS WARNING

2000-05-05 19:50:02
The goal of those who write viruses is to get attention, true?  I guess they
figure that writing their viruses for Windows is going to get them a lot
more attention than writing for other operating systems with smaller user
bases.  :-)

Tongue firmly in cheek -- Ian King
----------
DISCLAIMER: The foregoing is my personal opinion, and should not be
construed as the official position of or statement by my employer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall Stewart [mailto:rstewar1(_at_)email(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 1:05 PM
To: Michael H. Warfield
Cc: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu; Scot Mc Pherson;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: VIRUS WARNING

Michael:

I could not agree more, we have a few (possibly .. 3) virus that have
infect *nix systems. Even more telling, look at how linux systems
have NOT been infected or bothered much. I find this interesting
since the code - bugs, wart, and any holes are available to any
who want to look at it...

Now if I take and switch the machine I am typing on over to
that "other" o/s the virus scanner it has lists 100's and I
mean 100's of viruses...

I do understand that some of us are STUCK with that other
O/S... but there are options.. I too am in theory using it.. but
only when I have to... I do all my real work on the linux side and
only occasionaly fire up the other side to read a awful .doc or .ppt
file...

I simply refuse to allow our IT dept to have there way with me and
infect me with the worst virus... that other O/S :-)

[snip]