RE: VIRUS WARNING

2000-05-08 06:30:02
It should be pretty obvious that the only reason that viruses are so
prolific on MS platforms, is that so many people are using them.  When
designing a virus to spread, the user base must be considered.  A virus
written to infect UNIX systems would not attract much attention anywhere
other than a small circle of professionals and engineers.

Michael B. Bellopede
Michael(_dot_)CTR(_dot_)Bellopede(_at_)tc(_dot_)faa(_dot_)gov

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall Stewart [mailto:rstewar1(_at_)email(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 8:05 PM
To: Michael H. Warfield
Cc: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)VT(_dot_)EDU; Scot Mc Pherson;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: VIRUS WARNING

Michael:

I could not agree more, we have a few (possibly .. 3) virus that have
infect *nix systems. Even more telling, look at how linux systems
have NOT been infected or bothered much. I find this interesting
since the code - bugs, wart, and any holes are available to any
who want to look at it...

Now if I take and switch the machine I am typing on over to
that "other" o/s the virus scanner it has lists 100's and I
mean 100's of viruses...

I do understand that some of us are STUCK with that other
O/S... but there are options.. I too am in theory using it.. but
only when I have to... I do all my real work on the linux side and
only occasionaly fire up the other side to read a awful .doc or .ppt
file...

I simply refuse to allow our IT dept to have there way with me and
infect me with the worst virus... that other O/S :-)

"Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 11:13:03PM -0400,