RE: Acronims' ambiquity

2000-06-07 12:50:02
At 07:48 PM 6/7/00 +0100, Lloyd Wood wrote:
I find it odd that, although ISOC is the copyright holder of the RFCs
(as 2026 states) the ISOC website isn't publishing its own RFCs,
providing a list of mirrors, or even listing them as publications - at
least I couldn't find anything under
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/publications/

The IETF, IESG and IAB are all part of ISOC (those organizations variously
described as being "chartered by ISOC" or ISOC as being "the organizational
home" for IETF et al). There is a link to the IETF website on the ISOC home
page, which links in turn to the RFC editor website, and there you can find
the archive (or go directly to www.rfc-editor.org).

(So I tend to refer to RFCs as IETF RFCs rather than ISOC RFCs - the
IETF may not be the copyright holder, but at least its website holds
archival copies, making mentioning the IETF more of a Useful Context
Clue.)

It's certainly proper to refer to "IETF RFCs" (or at least I hope it is
since that's how I've been referring to them for years). Copyright
ownership does not necessarily reflect authorship: computer book publishers
routinely register copyright in their own, not the author's, name.

-pl

| Pete Loshin             http://www.loshin.com               |
| Internet-Standard.com   http://Internet-Standard.com        |
| The RFC Books Series    http://www.loshin.com/bigbooks.html |