Re: Acronims' ambiquity

2000-06-07 14:40:02
Lloyd,

Just to review the actual facts one more time:

The IAB is responsible for the RFC-Editor function under its charter, RFC 2850.

At the IAB's request, the ISOC sub-contracted the RFC-Editor function to ISI.

At the IETF's request (RFC 2026), the ISOC holds copyright on RFCs to protect
them
against unauthorized modification. It has to be the ISOC, because the IETF
itself is not incorporated.

Since ISI is the contractor, it is perfectly normal that the archive is
on an ISI server. There are also many mirror sites.

And contrary to what someone else stated, the IETF is not part of the ISOC.
The relationship is described in RFC 2031.

   Brian