Re: IETF, ITU-T membership

2000-06-15 09:10:02
Yixin:

There is no such thing as IETF membership, it is free; you only pay ($325-$425)
if
you come to meetings that are held every few months. Go to www.ietf.org. Best
way
to keep posted is to join some mailing lists in your areas of interest. Surf
around the mailing lists and draft submissions and you'll be able to gather a
lot
of information.

For ITU-T, go to www.itu.ch. You should be able to find membership info there.

To Valdis & Mark:

Both of you did your part of email exchanges, but did not bother to properly
answer the question that was asked.

Keep in mind that the person is asking for a genuine help. Also, do not think
that
it's funny and amazing that someone does not know these 'basic' rules of life
such
as how to join IETF/ITU-T. There is no rocket science here. There is always a
first time, and then you realize it's no big deal at all.

If you can't answer someone's questions, please do not jump to your keyboard to
type something that you think is filled with a great sense of humor (it's
actually
not,  regardless of how many times you put the smiley letters) and send to
entire
IETF community.

It's truly irritating that people do not spend their time responding to
technical
issues, but they are so fast in responding to non-tech and spam emails. Maybe
after typing some 'funny' response they can go home thinking they 'contributed'
something to IETF today. This is just my guess, I have no clue what drives some
people. I  notice that replies to spams and non-technical issues (that does not
require much thinking) always come quickly and come usually from people whose
names I never see otherwise in discussions. There are exceptions, but this is a
general observation.

You can reply to this email, but please DO NOT start any chain on this email,
this
is not a spam. Use your time doing something useful.

Pankaj