RE: IETF Wireless LAN history

2000-06-29 11:40:02

OK, we have come to use and like the 802.11 nets at the IETF meeting.
What will happen if many attendees also turn up BlueTooth devices?
AFAIK, they operate on the same frequency band, and the BT devices
emit enough noise to seriously hamper 802.11 operation!

Right, that was why Dan brought this up.  It is said that a likely
approach if/when Bluetooth starts to proliferate is for all 802.11 sites
currently using 2.4Ghz to migrate to 5Ghz; hence yet more card purchases
for IETF attendees at some point.  I've heard of corporate installations
where access point locations were designed with 5Ghz diameters in mind
even though 2.4Ghz is being installed today.  The idea that Bluetooth and
2.4Ghz 802.11 be designed to coexist seems to be getting less attention
for some reason.

 - RL "Bob"