RE: IETF Wireless LAN history

2000-06-29 10:40:03
At 09:54 29/06/00 , Dan Kohn wrote:
I will bite regarding one issue near and dear to IETF hearts -- which is the
seeming need to buy yet another 802.11 card for each IETF meeting.  And yes,
I am actually suggesting an approach that would require one more purchase:

         Actually, IETF has made IEEE 802.11-DSSS the convention for wireless
LANs at all IETF meetings for some time now.  This has been supported
at least at Oslo, DC, Adelaide, (and will be at Pittsburgh).  It probably
has been  supported for some significant time before Oslo, though I
don't have first-hand remembrance of that.  In DC, Nortel was pushing
their 802.11-FH system, but a full 802.11-DS system was up and running
in parallel.

         Probably due to overlap in organisational membership and the
broad International acceptance of IEEE 802 standards, IEEE 802.11-DSSS
has also become the de facto standard for use at several other
networking meetings (e.g. NANOG, RIPE).

Ran
rja(_at_)inet(_dot_)org