RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??

2000-07-05 07:45:10
I believe, I found part of the following text in WAP Forum's WEB-pages.
However, I think the answer -from business and technology point of view- is
simple;

Is WAP mobile Internet ?  Yes and NO

WAP is using existing Internet standards.  The WAP architecture was designed
to enable standard Internet servers to provide services to wireless devices.
In addition, when communicating with wireless devices, WAP uses many
Internet standards such as XML, UDP and IP. The WAP wireless protocols are
based on Internet standards such as HTTP and TLS but have been optimised for
the unique constraints of the wireless environment.
Internet standards such as HTML, HTTP, TLS and TCP are inefficient over
mobile networks, requiring:

        Large amounts of mainly text based data to be sent.

        Standard HTML web content generally cannot be displayed in an
effective way on the small size screens of mobile phones and
        pagers, and navigation around and between screens is not easy.

        HTTP and TCP are not optimised for the gaps of coverage (change over
etc.), long latencies and limited bandwidth associated
        with wireless networks. HTTP sends its headers and commands in  text
format instead of compressed binary. Wireless
        services using these protocols are often slow, costly and difficult
to use. The TLS security standard requires many messages
        to be exchanged between client and server which, with wireless
transmission latencies, results in a very slow response for the
        user.

WAP has been optimised to solve all these problems (??? my oppinion),
utilising binary transmission and greater compression of data, and is
optimised for long latency and low/medium bandwidth. WAP session protocol
stack can cope with limited coverage (gaps of coverage) and can operate over
a wide variety of wireless transports using IP where possible and other
optimised protocols where IP is impossible (WDP).

The WML language used for WAP content makes optimum use of small screens and
allows easy navigation with without a full keyboard, and has built-in
scaleability from two-line text displays  to the full graphic screens of
smart phones and communicators.

Additionally, WAP goes far beyond the Internet technology not in order to
extent the Internet,  but to address functional entities like SIM/WIM,
GSM-Telephony etc., they are not part of  the Internet market technology.
They are  an important part of the cellular technology and they simply do
exist and have to be addressed.

-------------------------------
Is WAP going in a different direction than Internet standards do ? NO.

Many of WAP Forum's protocols are Internet standards such as XML, IP and
UDP. The Forum has created a protocol suite that is optimised for the mobile
environment. WAP Forum is working closely with the W3C (World Wide Web
Consortium) and the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) to ensure that
the future versions of HTML, HTTP and TCP will accommodate the special needs
of mobile devices and can be supported in the WAP framework.

Panagiotis Tsigaridas
Telco Information Systems Manager
STET Hellas Telecommunuications S.A.