RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??

2000-07-05 10:30:02

Vernon,

would pacbell filtering all multicast at all CPE equipemt fall into your
bucket, where do you draw the line?

-rick

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Vernon Schryver wrote:

From: Lloyd Wood <l(_dot_)wood(_at_)eim(_dot_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>

my point is not to push sms or whatever.  but that by "on the internet" i
think we mean having unincumbered availability of the common application
protocols, email, http, ftp, ssh, ...

that's not quite enough; in the UK we're seeing cable-modem ISPs
attempt to restrict services to those applications, or to a subset of
those applications (lotsa luck setting up an http server or using
ssh.)

and also like AOL's redirecting proxies for out-bound SMTP?
and the port-25 filtering of many ISP's including UUNET?