RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??

2000-07-05 11:10:02
think we mean having unincumbered availability of the common application
protocols, email, http, ftp, ssh, ...

that's not quite enough; in the UK we're seeing cable-modem ISPs
attempt to restrict services to those applications, or to a subset of
those applications (lotsa luck setting up an http server or using
ssh.)

and also like AOL's redirecting proxies for out-bound SMTP?
and the port-25 filtering of many ISP's including UUNET?

From: Rick H Wesson <wessorh(_at_)ar(_dot_)com>

would pacbell filtering all multicast at all CPE equipemt fall into your
bucket, where do you draw the line?

I think it depends on motives.  Port 25 filtering and SMTP redirecting
proxies exist for the same reasons slumlords put bulletproof glass in
their windows and chainlink fencing on their balconies instead of evicting
or otherwise dealing with criminals.  Port 25 filtering and SMTP
redirecting is easier but more expensive in the long run than enforcing
strong terms of service, such as $500/day clean-up fees.  HTTP redirecting
proxies sometimes have much worse, completely intolerable motives, from
unvarnish government censorship of political speech to inserting ads.

Historically multicast was filtered because routers didn't know about it
and those operating them no better informed and caring even less.  Today,
I can still imagine some technical motives for filtering multicast packets.
They would be defensible for a while.  I know nothing about what PacBell
is doing now, but they're filtering class-D addresses for any except real
technical reasons that they honestly plan to fix, then they are not selling
Internet access.  If they are advertising otherwise, then appropriate
legal steps should be taken.

Instead of silly blathering about getting wireless phones and SuperHypeWay
access to the billions of people who currently have neither those modern
necessities, reasonable food or shelter, or even per capita incomes of
$1000/year, those who care about the Internet should be worrying about
the efforts of the old media and communications outfits to transform the
Internet into something they know, whether POTS or TV.