RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??

2000-07-05 19:00:02
At 17.25 +0100 00-07-05, Lloyd Wood wrote:
 > i may not choose to use/install them
 > all, but the commumications technology i use (note this did not say the end
 > device) should not prevent me from doing so.

...without having to ask some telco's permission or pay more to enable
the ability. (This is distinct from charging for extreme capacity
use.)

There is nothing wrong by providers selling you one thing (accessing data also available on the Internet) for one sum of money, and the ability to have Internet access for another (higher).

What I don't like is that providers sell non-Internet connections and then "charge more" for the abilities you list above (and others).

I.e. if they can produce something silly which the market buys, I don't see anything wrong with that -- but it should NOT be called Internet Access.

In Sweden we have rules for how much beef there have to be (percentage) for something to be called "meatballs". Other things are called "frying balls", "lean balls" etc. The same market-driven regulation should be true for "Internet Access".

   Patrik