Re: Is WAP mobile Internet??

2000-07-11 17:40:02
TSIGARIDAS PANAGIOTIS wrote:

I believe, I found part of the following text in WAP Forum's WEB-pages.
However, I think the answer -from business and technology point of view-
is simple;

Is WAP mobile Internet ?  Yes and NO

WAP is using existing Internet standards.  The WAP architecture was
designed to enable standard Internet servers to provide services to
wireless devices.

In other words - a gateway?

If so, then it is a gateway to non-internet devices.
They are not just disconnected devices. Many people have laptops
that are connected then disconnected from an ISP. The mobile
phones use a different protocol suite to perform their operations.

I am not saying that is bad. Just that it seems to me to they are
saying that they are providing a gateway to the internet for non-internet
devices. Otherwise is all they would need is a bridge or router.

 In addition, when communicating with wireless devices,
WAP uses many Internet standards such as XML, UDP and IP. The WAP
wireless protocols are based on Internet standards such as HTTP and TLS
but have been optimised for the unique constraints of the wireless
environment.

And much email is still sent in ASCII (IEEE I think), that does mean
that all internet email systems are IEEE devices.

Internet standards such as HTML, HTTP, TLS and TCP are inefficient over
mobile networks, requiring:

Orthogonal to the issue here - "is it the internet"?