RE: imode far superior to wap

2000-08-09 12:00:02
At 12:27 PM -0400 8/9/00, Brijesh Kumar wrote:
James,

We have gone through WAP v/s non-WAP threads several times on this
list. Let us hope this does not become another meaningless thread with
little technical merits in the arguments.

What is the use of criticizing a technology? If it is not good for a
purpose, or only the second best, it will die itself. IETF, ISO or ITU
can't sustain any standard unless someone in the world sees some
merits in it. Some people out there see WAP is good for them, and some
others see it a temporary diversion from the "real" deal. So what is
new about it.

Actually, nothing. The last round of "WAP is a trap" discussion on this list finally forced me to go look at it. The fascinating thing about WAP is how closely it resembles Videotex. The similarities are very close. There are probably not many around who ever even saw Videotex. It would be interesting to know if the similarity is accidental or on purpose. It might tell us a lot about the current state of education in protocol design or the dichotomy in the cultures of protocol designers.

It might also give us some insight into how we can expect WAP to play out. It certainly gives us plenty of reasons to expect a particular future.

I'd be curious what prompted Salsman's note.

Take care,
john