Re: imode far superior to wap

2000-08-10 11:20:03
Nilsson;

I doubt that you will find support from IETF folks for something that
breaks the end-to-end model of IP (as Imode and WAP do as they are
implemented today). I want to be able to ssh to my phone (or
equivalent). Anything below that is just telephantisms.

I'm afraid that ssh for phone is just another telephantisms. :-)

If you want phone with real Internet style, see our INET paper:

        http://www.isoc.org/inet2000/cdproceedings/4a/4a_3.htm

        The "Simple Internet Phone" has an architecture tuned for
        a future situation in which non-Internet networks, such
        as IP-based private telephone networks, will disappear.
        While the "Simple Internet Phone" is a form of voice over
        Internet Protocol (VoIP), most, if not all, VoIP protocols
        are designed placing the priority in the affinity to the
        telephone network. However, it is obvious that the telephone
        network will be replaced by the Internet, and will eventually
        disappear. At that time, most of the features of VoIP protocols
        will become obsolete. Instead, the "Simple Internet Phone" is
        designed placing the priority in the affinity to the Internet
        and its architectural principles as an "end-to-end," "globally
        connected" and "scalable" IP network. As a result, most
        features of VoIP are substituted by the existing Internet
        protocols. With Internet phones, callees are required to have
        persistent connection to the Internet with globally unique
        addresses, which helps to promote the healthy development
        of the Internet.

Dispite all the hypes of VoIP people on QoS with private IP network
(if you are hyped, your phone can not be free and can not compete
with telephone network), I just confirmed voice quality good enough
between Taiwan and Japan through USA.

Run this kind of protocol over Ricochet terminal and WAP and iMODE
will disapper.

                                                        Masataka Ohta

PS

You can purchase a prototype terminal adapter.