Re: Topic drift Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-10-01 20:10:03
<<On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 22:47:03 -0400, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> said:

The I-D series already *is* permanently, publicly archived
by that logic, there's no point in IETF creating its own archive.
(after all, others are doing a fine job of it at no cost to IETF, right?)

It's the matter of being [un]able to find it that seems to be the
sticking point.  After all, there may well be a hundred copies of
`draft-foo-bar-baz-00.txt', but finding the one which actually
contains the original text remains the sticking-point.

Walnut Creek CDROM seems to be selling a disc with a three-year-old
collection of Internet-Drafts on it.  I can't tell from their catalog
listing whether this has the actual contents of the old drafts, or
merely many, many copies of the annoying message which used to be
inserted when drafts expired.  (I actually wouldn't mind finding a
copy out there of my 1995 effort -- I don't have a copy myself any
more.  There have probably been few less-well-baked drafts than mine.)

-GAWollman