Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-14 02:00:02
    > From: smd(_at_)ebone(_dot_)net (Sean Doran)

    > Even Noel Chiappa ... says that they are an architectural hack.

Let me expand on this a teensy bit. As currently used, NAT boxes are a severe
architectural ugliness.

Were we to i) incrementally deploy and start using new globally unique
namespace(s) [either a single one functioning much as IPv4 addresses
functioned originaly, or, as many of us think would be wise, two separate
ones, one to identify entities for end-end communication and another to give
topologically related names to communication devices], and then ii)
reinterpret the 32-bit fields as "local forwarding tags", then NAT boxes
would cease to be an architectural ugliness, and become merely engineering
ugliness.

"I trust I make myself obscure." (And a tip of the hatly hat to anyone who
recognizes the source of that quotation... :-)

        Noel