Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-14 16:20:02
Dennis Glatting wrote:
If it isn't an address issue, is it a routing issue?  Is it that the
routing tables/protocols/hardware can't handle the large number of
routes? Are ISPs refusing to carry reasonable routes?  Seems to me if
the entire address space was broken up into subnets of 4096, there
would be about 1 million routes.  What is the current size?  I think I
remember seeing numbers on the order of 50,000.

Current size as of a few months ago was 85k routes.

Today's global BGP table (at least from one view) contains approx. 95,000
entries (and it went over 100,000 for a short time yesterday).  Take a look
at http://www.mcvax.org/~jhma/routing/ for three years' history and a daily
generated list of aggregation possibilities which could take the routing table
down to a mere 65,000 or so entries.

James