Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-21 18:40:02
At 02:54 PM 12/14/00 -0500, Tony Dal Santo wrote:
What exactly is the state of the IPv4 "address pool"?  I realize there is
a PERCEIVED shortage, and this is usually the main motivation for NAT.
But is there a real shortage?  Are "reasonable" requests for addresses
being denied?

The way I understand it (which could easily be out of date) is that about 45% of the address pool has been delegated, and about 25.21% is currently being advertised. The unicast address pool, what we once called the class A, class B, and class C address pools, represents 7/8 of the IP Addresses: the remainder are divided among the multicast (class D) and experimental (class E) address space.

So the bottom line is that we have delegated out a touch over half the usable unicast IP Address space. The way we are using that is, in many places, interconnecting NAT translation points - the use of private address space hides the real usage, and we have no really good way to estimate it. If we start going for non-client-server protocols - voice on IP - in a big way (and I am told that some of the world's largest telephone carriers have plans in place to convert national and international telco backbones to VoIP over the coming 3-5 years), that means that these devices will need to be addressable from outside their domains, which means those people will find themselves needing a non-NAT'd address. Implications are largely speculative, but have the option of being non-pretty.

Next question, not usually discussed, is how much of the world as yet doesn't have IP Addresses allocated to it and would like to. I think it is fair to say that the world is convinced that IP connectivity is very important. I have heard ministers of telecom from dirt-poor African countries discuss how wonderful it would be to have so much free capital laying around that they could "put a telephone into each village." Those same ministers are doing whatever it takes to ensure that their countries are on the Internet.

Unfortunately, the world is not internet-attached. Western Europe is, the US and Canada are, Australia is, Taiwan has Internet in every public library (I'm told). It comprises populations in the 1 billion person ballpark. There are some pretty large swaths of people in Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa that are not connected and should be. If 25% of the address space is what we need for the part connected now, that tells me that I need 150% of the address space to cover everybody. If wide deployment of converged networks means that 25% was nowhere close enough for the present Internet population, then 150% is a very low guess.

So that's "what is" last I heard it from those who have the hard numbers, and "what could be". "What will be" remains anybody's guess. My crystal ball is really shiny due to excessive rubbing, and just as cloudy as ever.