Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-15 11:40:03
On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Scott Brim wrote:
How much meaning does "Keith Moore" have?  Somehow we have a planet with
billions of people on it and those who need to still manage to find the
appropriate "Keith Moore".  How do they do that?  Are there any lessons
to be learned?

They do that by attempting to use additional fields to create a unique
global name for Keith Moore, such as "Keith Moore, the painter from
Dublin" or "Keith Moore, the taxidermist from Dubai."  And just like you
can't identify 192.168.0.1 if it changes the address it lives on in the
global namespace, you'll have a hard time finding your friend Keith if he
moves to Dallas.

The lesson we learn from this is that people need significantly longer
names, in order to prevent confusion, and make it easier to find long-lost
acquaintances.  Not to mention which make the jobs of various government
agencies and courts significantly easier.

-= flail? http://flail.com/ =-
 -= the online comic strip =-