Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-14 09:40:04

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Sean Doran wrote:

So, why are people deploying them?

Just to name two...

1) With NAT I ask for much smaller address spaces. Consequently, I don't
have to disclose my network details, deployment is less likely to be
delayed, and both my non-recurring and recurring cost is lower.

2) I don't have to renumber my entire enterprise should I change service
providers, rather only the Internet interface devices. True IPv6 *may*
change this if it is ever routed across the Internet, all of my vendors
incorporate IPv6 into their products, and everyone on the Internet changes
their equipment, too (sans IPv4/IPv6 gateways).