Re: NATs *ARE* evil!

2000-12-15 20:30:03

"Jon" == Jon Crowcroft
<J(_dot_)Crowcroft(_at_)cs(_dot_)ucl(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:
    Jon> note that a major problem with the little wortk that is done is that
    Jon> its not often done in realistic topologies - this is a problem with
    Jon> ISPs who wont let people get at the data (or the traffic traces) so
    Jon> with a few honourable exceptions, most the smart people trying to do
    Jon> new stuff go on to other areas where there aren;t intractable
    Jon> barriers to doig the experimental verficaition of the idea

  This is even a problem for most non-major vendors.
  Both at the BGP layer and at the forwarding layer.

  I've even heard that some people at major's can't get at that info
because of inter-divisional politics.

  CAIDA has produced lots of interesting data though. The problem for
vendors is finding enough to time to read it.
  If someone knows of a grad school that has money to do BGP research :-)

] Train travel features AC outlets with no take-off restrictions|gigabit is no[
]   Michael Richardson, Solidum Systems   Oh where, oh where has|problem  with[
]     mcr(_at_)solidum(_dot_)com   www.solidum.com   the little fishy
gone?|PAX.port 1100[