RE: 49th-IETF conf room planning

2000-12-18 17:10:02
From: Randall Gellens [mailto:randy(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2000 4:42 PM
To: Daniel Senie; Michael Richardson
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: 49th-IETF conf room planning

At 9:32 PM -0500 12/13/00, Daniel Senie wrote:

 I am starting to wonder if we're going to have to hold the meetings
 primarily in Las Vegas.

I fervently hope not.  Las Vegas is the tobacco smoking capital of
the U.S. -- higher rates than anywhere else in the country, including
areas where they grow the stuff.  It is also very hard to find good
quality food (but is awash in cheap buffets).

Sorry, but I'd prefer Vegas vs. not being able to attend half of the
meetings I planned to  in San Diego simply because there was not enough
space. I was very dishardened by this, and hope the meeting planners are
able to plan for 3000+ attendees for future meetings.

The smoking is very bad, I agree. However, the IETF could absolutely
designate our meeting rooms as non-smoking. The ventilation systems are
outstanding (for obvious reasons), so any lingering smoke will be gone.

I wholeheatedly disagree with you regarding the food. Some of the finest
restaurants in the U.S. are located there. Sure, for lunch, we'd likely have
to eat at the local buffet or "semi fast" food shops unless special
arrangements are made by the IETF. After a week of lunches at the Sheraton
San Diego, though, a buffet would be no worse, IMO. But for dinner, the sky
is the limit. All prices ranges and all levels of quality. Not hard to find
any place to meet your needs.

I also disagree with you regarding hotel rates. Pre-negotiated block rates
for meetings are around the same price as we paid in San Diego for a similar
type of hotel (clearly, Vegas hotels are both much better than and much
worse than the Sheraton San Diego). The only time hotel rooms are extremely
high is for major expositions -- like Comdex, Consumer Electronics Show, etc
-- because those rooms are not booked as blocks. The hotels jack up the
prices for those weeks. I've been to Vegas on a non-convention week and got
a hotel room for $70/night vs. $180/night for the same room during Comdex.
It would be up to the IETF to negotiate for 2000-3000 rooms; that's a lot of
buying power. If they can't get reasonable rates, then we don't go there.

Having a locale where every attendee is able to have a seat -- comfortably
-- should be a primary concern. Vegas should be considered.

  Matthew Goldman
  World Wide Packets