Re: IETF logistics

2000-12-19 13:30:03
On 12/19/00 at 12:04 PM -0500, Scott Brim wrote:

I would suggest that chairs try setting the agenda around issues, not
around drafts themselves.  The main point of the face-to-face meetings
is to resolve issues that cannot be resolved by mail.  Put those on the
agenda, and let the combatants present as much tutorial information as
they feel is necessary to make their point -- but don't set up the
editor of a particular draft to give a presentation first, followed by
discussion.  Don't even put the draft title on the agenda, just in the
preliminary mail sent out before the meeting.  Thoughts?

I think you have this backwards. The job of an IETF WG is not to resolve issues per se; it's to write Internet-Drafts. Now, I do agree that the editors should NOT be presenting the draft; that's silly. However, the issues that the face-to-face meetings should be dealing with are *only* those that pertain to a particular draft. If noone has written down at least a straw-man I-D, then I don't think it's worth discussing the issue at all.

So, have the editors cull out the open issues from their drafts, and put only those issues on the agenda. No tutorials at all should be needed if there is sufficient text in the I-D (or suggested replacement text posted to the mailing list) to define the issue.

pr

--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated