Re: IETF logistics

2000-12-20 16:20:02
On 12/20/00 at 9:37 AM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:

At 11:20 AM 12/19/00 -0600, Pete Resnick wrote:
How about a first step: In WG sessions that I chair, there are going to be no more presentations. From now on, one week before the IETF meeting, document editors will be required to send me a list of outstanding issues they wish to discuss in the WG session for their particular drafts.

...I will nonetheless note that we are focusing entirely too much on symptoms and not enough on causes.

When I come upon the guy with an arm lopped-off and blood coming out of him, though the causes might be interesting, I suggest that the symptoms and the cures thereof are really the important things: Sew the arm back on first, find the truck that hit him later.

That said, it's perfectly clear to me that the lack of focus in WG sessions is very much caused by (1) some people in the room not doing their homework, (2) the willingness of WG chairs to allow presentations to catch those people up instead of getting on with the work at hand, and (3) more people not doing their homework next time because they know that there will be a catch-up presentation. I can control (2) as a chair, and the more I do that, the less that (3) will happen. I'm stuck with (1), but I'm sure not going to throw up my hands and forget about (2).

I believe that the core requirement for meeting time use is to properly view it as a very scarce resource...

Absolutely!!

Sometimes presentations are exactly the right thing.

Nonsense. Leaving aside BOFs (which I do think are different), I defy you to give me one example where a presentation is the right thing to do in a WG face-to-face meeting. Presentations can either be done in written form (on the mailing list or by way of an Internet Draft) or can be saved for some other venue (like Comdex). Working Groups *work*. What justification is there for *ever* giving a presentation in a WG face-to-face meeting?

pr

--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated