Re: IETF logistics

2000-12-20 11:00:03

At 11:20 AM 12/19/00 -0600, Pete Resnick wrote:
How about a first step: In WG sessions that I chair, there are going to be no more presentations. From now on, one week before the IETF meeting, document editors will be required to send me a list of outstanding issues they wish to discuss in the WG session for their particular drafts.

Having just enthusiastically encouraged Pete to be chair of a nascent working group that I am heavily involved in, and having noted the many responses in support of his suggestion, I will nonetheless note that we are focusing entirely too much on symptoms and not enough on causes.

A very major good feature of the IETF is its flexibility. A working group needs only enough bureaucratic cruft to get its job done. This varies enormously, depending upon the background and views of the participants, complexity of the work to be done, degree of urgency, etc.

I believe that the core requirement for meeting time use is to properly view it as a very scarce resource and apply agenda design -- and enforcement -- rules -- that make sense.

Sometimes presentations are exactly the right thing. Sometimes they aren't. What is important is taking a skeptical view of ALL requests for meeting time and adding items to the agenda only when the need for them is compelling.