Re: IETF logistics

2000-12-19 19:40:02
At 05:10 PM 12/19/2000, Scott Bradner wrote:
> Nothing personal Frank, but in a general sense I'd say you weren't doing
> your job well enough.

easy to say if you have not been and AD
Frank was a good AD and managed WGs as well as any of us (and better than many)
yet getting people out of presentation mode is hard and takes previewing
the actual presentations - not something that an AD can do (nor should
an AD be THAT involved) - Alliosn & I sent mail to teh TSV WG chairs
before the SD IETF meeting reminding the chairs that technology
presentations were notthe best use of session time and yet many
of the TSV WGs still had that type of presentations (including
the tsvwg which we chair)

Yes, Frank was a very good AD and as I said, nothing personal. But as AD's you all have the power to shape the meeting and choose or replace chairs. And as I've said in other forums, AD's have way too much to handle these days and the IETF is suffering a bit because of that.

Something said in the SEAMOBY meeting was especially disturbing. The chair said that "it wasn't fair to the presenters" to cut them off. This came after the room gave resounding applause to cutting them off. Why do we have to be fair to the presenters? Why can't we be fair to the WG as a whole? I'll note a disclaimer that SEAMOBY was scheduled and formed as a WG very late in the game and the chairs perhaps didn't have enough time to organize better. But the same complaint could be made at many other WG meetings.

-Matt    (cc'ing the IESG since this is directed primarily to them)