Re: IETF logistics

2000-12-19 19:10:02
--On Tuesday, December 19, 2000 3:49 PM -0700 Danny McPherson
<danny(_at_)ambernetworks(_dot_)com> wrote:

It did indeed seem that the significant majority of
time was spent 'viewing presentations/tutorials',
while the WG chairs frequently employed RED/discard
on the folks that occupied the queues at the
microphones in order to more promptly begin the
next tutorial and finish within the alloted time.

This is unfortunate, as the main idea behind meeting
is to hash out design issues, not to get overly
verbose presentations that typically aren't required
by those that read the drafts.

Just some personal thoughts...

FWIW, I suggested to a couple of WG/BOF chairs last week that,
if they _must_ have presentations (and I really like Pete
Resnick's idea), they consider insisting on

    (i) Getting the materials in advance

    (ii) Consolidating all of the presentations onto a single
    machine, to be controlled by the Chair.

    (iii) Warning presenters that the presentations will be
    appropriately "accelerated" if they contain too much
    marketing hype, drift off-topic, or go wandering into the
    weeds.

I would also favor equipping Chairs with long poles with hooks
at the end for dragging performers offstage, or at least on/oiff
switches for microphones :-)

I think we have several different problems that are reinforcing
each other, but we can probably attack at least some of them
even if we don't have comprehensive solutions.

   john