Re: Bottom feeders

2000-12-20 12:20:02
We *should* worry about people who come to the IETF once and never come
back - because they probably came to the wrong meeting, and went home
unhappy.

interesting idea.

so assuming that a lot of folks come to the IETF expecting something
different than it is, and going home disappointed, what can we do to
make future prospective attendees more aware of what they're getting into?

Keith

I don't know if this is done or not, but all first time registrants
should be sent an e-mail suggesting that they read the
Internet-Standards Process and Newcommer's Orientation presentation.
Plus be advised that they should attend the orientation on Sunday.

I remember my first trip to IETF.  I thought that I could simply
arrive and get a standard adopted.  That was three years ago.  Many
RFCs later I'm still here.  But it is not because involving myself in
the IETF was easy.  For a long time I felt like an outsider.  Even
after attending a year's worth of meetings.  But I kept attending
because I had something that I wanted/needed to accomplish.

I think the important point to remember is that we attend IETF to
accomplish a specific technical goal (developing an internet
standard).  We are not here to be a part of a fraternity;to find a
job; not to find employees; to find authors; to disrupt others; ...

I welcome all to attend IETF meetings.  But I want people to attend
that are going to do work; not make it more difficult for me to
accomplish my work.  If people come to IETF unprepared and without the
intention to actively contribute to standards development and then
leave disappointed and frustrated, I'm not sure that is a bad thing.