Re: Bottom feeders

2000-12-21 12:50:03
Ken Hornstein wrote:

That hasn't been my experience; I've seen what can only be described as
an "old-boy" network in operation.  I'm not saying that such a thing is
necessarily bad, just that sometimes it takes significant effort to
overcome it if you're a newbie.

Unfortunately, it's hard for the old-boys to overcome, too.  They're
surrounded by a couple thousand people they don't know and a couple hundred
they do.  And they're there to work, which means they don't have time to
figure out which of the couple thousand are worth talking to; they're going
to talk to the couple hundred they already know are worthwhile.  Human
nature.

(Not everybody is like this; some are better.  But there are very few
people for whom it is easy.)

|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|eCal Corp.      |"Simply vanished--like an old oak table." --Lord|
|francis(_at_)ecal(_dot_)com|Percy, _Black Adder II_                         |