Re: Welcoming newcomers

2000-12-21 00:20:02
% Bill:  Could you clarify 2 things, if you know the answers to either?
%
%                               Valdis Kletnieks

        I was not present so I could not clarify.  It does seem pretty
        clear that these days, "bad-ideas" are often floated and experimented
        with in other venues and only after vetting are brought to the IETF
        for standards approval/rubber stamping.  It used to be that the
        IETF was the venue for exploring "bad-ideas". PreIETF oldtimers
        have noted that what was a bad idea a decade ago may be todays
        breakthrough. Hence tossing an idea once should not relegate it
        to limbo in perpetuity. (see John Klensins concept of using
        DNS classes. Last decade, a bad idea... now, a plausable avenue
        of exploration!)

--
--bill