Re: stamping rubber

2000-12-21 18:20:03
At 02:50 PM 12/21/00 -0800, Bill Manning wrote:
% That's why the concept of the design team is formally acknowledged.

        I've never seen where the concept of design teams was sanctioned
        but I've not been all that active in IETF politics.

Design teams have been formally discussed and sanctioned in IETF process documents for at least 5-6 years.

% And some folks have noticed that forming the design team and doing an
% initial specification BEFORE chartering the working group can be much more
% efficient.

        It does tend to restrict alternate approaches tho. By the time
        it reaches a WG, its a fait-accompli. (sp?)

1. There is nothing to prevent a competing design team. Just ask the Instant Messaging folks.

2. Yes, it does provide tactical advantage to the folks that do the specification work early. Come to think of it, though, that is ALWAYS true in the IETF and is viewed as a pragmatic strength, not a political maneuver.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464