stamping rubber

2000-12-21 16:20:03
At 08:47 AM 12/21/00 -0800, Bill Manning wrote:
True. The point being that the IETF is becoming a "rubber-stamp" for
work already complete.

This is simply not true. Sometimes we take in work that is mature and needs only minor changes to satisfy the community. To characterize this as either frequent or rubber stamping is entirely off the mark.

It IS true that development from scratch, within a working group, is highly problematic when the group is large and/or the topic complicated. (Can we all say "design by committee".) That's why the concept of the design team is formally acknowledged.

And some folks have noticed that forming the design team and doing an initial specification BEFORE chartering the working group can be much more efficient.

However the ultimate test of the material in the stamp is whether the working group can and does exercise ultimate authority over specifications and whether it can and does make changes. All of my IETF experience says that anyone expecting rubber in the stamp is quickly -- and with appropriate rudeness -- educated otherwise.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464