Re: Writing Internet Drafts on a Macintosh

2001-02-23 07:20:02

Somewhere in the flood of email on this topic which is filling my inbox, we
have lost track of the fact that the IETF does not produce documents only for
its own use.  The idea is that everyone everywhere should have access to them
and the least common denominator is still ASCII.  (At least, the practical
LCD.  I can think of few extra uses for the stone tablets at working group
meetings though...)

John

Stephen McHenry <stephen(_at_)cacheware(_dot_)com> wrote:

Am I the only one that finds a certain bit of irony in the fact that the
last IETF conference provided "peek at the future" style networking - i.e.,
11MB 802.11 wireless throughout the entire hotel, so that people could
literally walk from one end of the hotel to the other with laptop perched
in the crook of one arm while using the other to do e-mail, web browsing
etc... ...AND that these are the same people with archaic browsers and
e-mail clients that can't handle recent advances in technology - even to
the point of using "dumb" devices that can only handle ASCII?