RE: HTML better for small PDAs

2001-02-23 10:30:02
Just a few final observations, then I'll bug out of the discussion.

1. Some folks scoff at the idea of reading I-Ds and RFCs on a PDA, yet they
think it's necessary to accommodate those who would read them on 1950s-style
teletypes or other old, outdated equipment.  We say that lines should be, what,
76 characters long?  Why?   What about 40 characters per line?  Then I could
read the RFCs on my old Commodore 64  in addition to my PDA.  ;-)  What *is*
the lowest common denominator, anyway?

2. RFCs have a limited lifetime.  RFC 1 might be 32 years old, but it's
probably only relevant to historians.  Historians will probably find the tools
they need to view old documents.  So, if RFCs are maintained in a format that
outlives the technology documented in the RFCs, then there's no problem, right?
 (Speaking from the aspect of archives.)  Anyone know how long ASCII will be
around?

--
Doug Sauder