Re: HTML better for small PDAs

2001-02-22 20:40:03
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:01:23 EST, you said:

I am not sure I agree with the statement that in 10 years XML will
be history.  One of XML's greatest values is in the fact that it is a
good format for long-term archiving of written material.  Some very
old material (several millenia old) is available in XML format --
that's more than the 32 years for RFC1.  ;-)  The reason old text has
been converted to XML is not so that people can read it on a GameBoy,
but so that it can be archived, indexed, converted to other formats, etc.

1) Was your millenia-old data *written in XML*, or was it *converted to* XML
within the past 5 years?

2) Will you be able to find the DTD you need in 2035?

An alternative point of view is that in 10 years XML will have achieved a
critical mass, so that it becomes as entrenched as many other standards:
ASCII, TCP/IP, C, etc.

OK.. Wake me up in 2011 and I'll be MORE than happy to reconsider. ;)

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech