Re: Why XML is perferable

2001-02-24 13:30:02

  *> From owner-ietf-outbound(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org Sat Feb 24 06:15:16 2001
  *> To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
  *> Subject: Re: Why XML is perferable
  *> Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:51:56 +0800 (CST)
  *> From: jag(_at_)kw(_dot_)com(_dot_)cn (Jun'an Gao)
  *>
  *> >  *> well-known, but some RFCs such as those on OSPF may be much
  *> >  *> more vivid if written in XML. There have been quite a few
  *>
  *>
  *> > Vivid?  We are talking about deeply complex technical documents
  *> > here, not MTV.  What do you mean, "vivid"?
  *>
  *> Maybe, we can display, say, an example of routing information flow,
  *> vividly. Putting a hyperlink to a GIF animation in the XML document
  *> would works. No MTV required. And I believe it will help the
  *> programmers/protocol implementors.
  *>
  *>
  *> Sincerely,
  *> Jun-an Gao.
  *>
  *>

Surely you jest.  Animated GIF?  How did you get through school without
having your algebra dance on a screen?  We can color the independent
variables red, the functions green, and ...

The serious protocol implementors I know construct their own private
"gif"s on whiteboards and in their heads, and they get by without
animation.  Sheesh.

Bob Braden