Re: Why XML is perferable

2001-02-24 16:20:02
At 12:20 PM 2/24/2001, Bob Braden wrote:
Surely you jest.  Animated GIF?  How did you get through school without
having your algebra dance on a screen?  We can color the independent
variables red, the functions green, and ...

Hey, that's not a bad idea.

The serious protocol implementors I know construct their own private
"gif"s on whiteboards and in their heads, and they get by without
animation.  Sheesh.

<SARCASM>
Hey, real serious protocol implementors don't need no stinkin' animation. We don't need no stinkin' pictures. In fact, we don't need no stinking English either. Just give us the equations and the state matrix. Anybody that can't just understand that? Well, screw 'em!!
</SARCASM>

On a more serious note, having done a lot of instruction over the years, it shouldn't be about ego (I paid my "understanding dues" - everyone else should too!!), it should be about communication... i.e., how quickly can we effectively communicate complex concepts... I have waded my way through lots of documents (RFCs and some really incomprehensible stuff too) over the years and it isn't (or shouldn't be) about whether or not you have the intellectual fortitude to wade through and figure it out, it should be about how quickly can you communicate those concepts to others. Why take an hour if 45 min will suffice? Why take 6 hours if 1.5 will do? The sooner it's clear, the sooner I can begin implementing it. The clearer it is, the less likely I am to make any errors of understanding. The quicker I can implement a correct version, the sooner I can start on the next thing I work on... all of which adds up to the more I can accomplish in a given period of time.

It seems to me that what we really need is a truly representation independent form of content, both words and pictures (both still and moving) that is renderable according to user preferences on any specific device, taking into account the limitations of the device. XML isn't completely that, but it's closer than ASCII, or html, or other forms. But, it's a long way short of what I could personally dream of...

OTOH, you might feel the same way another person did who responded (privately) to my previous post with:

        "You totally fail to get it. "

Could be...

Wait! I think I still have an ASR-33 in the basement!! I think I hear it calling...

Stephen

Stephen McHenry
VP, Engineering/CTO
Cacheware, Inc.
655 Campbell Technology Pkwy, Suite 150
Campbell, CA 95008
Ph:  (408) 540-1270
Fax: (408) 540-1305
e-mail: stephen(_at_)cacheware(_dot_)com
www.cacheware.com