Re: Why XML is perferable

2001-02-26 10:20:02
Stephen McHenry wrote:

On a more serious note, having done a lot of instruction over the years, it
shouldn't be about ego (I paid my "understanding dues" - everyone else
should too!!), it should be about communication... i.e., how quickly can we
effectively communicate complex concepts...

In theory, I agree; we need to write protocol specs that can be read.
However, I would put greater emphasis on precision than on speed.  Reading a
diagram can be faster than reading text; but text can be more precise.  A
picture may be worth a thousand words; the problem is that you can't be sure
what most of those words are, because they come out of your reader's cultural
context.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |