Re: Why XML is perferable

2001-02-25 02:10:02
At 06:39 PM 2/24/2001, Scott Brim wrote:
On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 04:47:42PM -0800, Eliot Lear wrote:
> You know, the people on this list make great computer scientists, network
> architects, application and protocol designers. I'm not so sure how many of
> us understand CHI.  Some of us like to think we do, but I suspect very few
> of us actually do.  So, given this, why don't we ask some people who really
> DO understand this problem to come up with a decent recommendation, rather
> than perennially flaming about it?  Then we can ask them to help us with
> NATs ;-)

But CHI is only a secondary issue.  The primary issue is the best format
for archives.  We want something which is not likely to be superceded by
something better in a few years.

Well, respectfully, I disagree... Only I don't think (in this case) CHI stands for Computer Human Interface, I think rather it should stand for Communication Human Interface...

If the archives were able to contain the content of the communication - renderable by whatever display limitations/personal preferences were applicable at each moment - then we would have truly achieved something...

Somehow, I have this idea that I'm talking to a list of the best and brightest of our industry... that we have (collectively) engineered protocols that allow communications using wires and wireless, that have enabled things that were impossible within the memory of most present here... So, now let's up the ante. Communication is more than bits on a wire. At the highest sense, it's the ability to move information from the brain of one individual to the brain of another.

Are we, as computer scientists, incapable of coming up with a format that allows us to describe very rich content (including text, images, animated images, even 3D images (and animated ones - 6 degrees of freedom), etc. - whatever it takes...) and then to render it appropriately for displays that range from capable to incapable...????

Wouldn't this be a better thing for us to be working on than fighting over whether we should keep everything in ASCII...???

From,

One who totally doesn't get it...

:-)

Stephen

Stephen McHenry
e-mail: stephen(_at_)cacheware(_dot_)com
www.cacheware.com