Re: HTML same problem with TXT. XML/SGML the solution

2001-02-25 01:40:02
%
% >
% > I say ASCII source documents are fine; if someone wants to convert their
% > personal copies of the docs into XML, PDF, HTML, or Morse Code, they're
% > perfectly welcome to do so.
% >
% ASCII source documents are not suitable for convertion.  This is also true for
% HTML and pdf files.  If I convert a document, I need to know the logical
structure
% of the document. ASCII documents lack these meta information.  Although
% HTML and pdf files have information about structure, but this information is
% only for presentation, not the logical information of the document.

        Sure they are. Your "logic" and mine could be different and
        you should have the privlege of "tagging for meta information"
        to meet your needs.
        Its just more work for you to figure out where you might want
        to place things. Punctuation is always fun.

% All these formats of documents are for presentation, not for manipulating.
% Mixing up the manipulating and presentation processes has many problems.
% XML/SGML is the solution.

        For some. Its not for me.
%
% Regards,
% Wang Xianzhu
%
% > Cheers,
% >
% > RGF
% >
% > Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
% >  Who goeth without humor goeth unarmed.
% >
% >
%
%