HTML same problem with TXT. XML/SGML the solution

2001-02-23 19:30:02

I say ASCII source documents are fine; if someone wants to convert their
personal copies of the docs into XML, PDF, HTML, or Morse Code, they're
perfectly welcome to do so.

ASCII source documents are not suitable for convertion.  This is also true for
HTML and pdf files.  If I convert a document, I need to know the logical
structure
of the document. ASCII documents lack these meta information.  Although
HTML and pdf files have information about structure, but this information is
only for presentation, not the logical information of the document.

All these formats of documents are for presentation, not for manipulating.
Mixing up the manipulating and presentation processes has many problems.
XML/SGML is the solution.

Regards,
Wang Xianzhu

Cheers,