Re: HTML better for small PDAs

2001-02-26 15:30:01

"Vernon" == Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
writes:
    >> From: Michael Richardson <mcr(_at_)research(_dot_)solidum(_dot_)com>

    >> I would like to see the IETF continue to consider the ASCII text to be
    >> the master.
    >>
    >> I would additionally like to see the secretariat accept drafts in some
    >> TBD XML markup as well as a corresponding ASCII. The provided ASCII
    >> should match that which the secretariat produces, likely by providing
    >> the XML->ASCII formatter on a web site, and basing it open some open
    >> source implementation.
    >>
    >> Authors should provide the ASCII because they should have proofread
    >> that version as well.

    Vernon> The dual Postscript and ASCII RFC's show that such a plan is
    Vernon> likely to cause more harm than good.  That dual track compromise

  I agree with your analysis. That is because postscript can do anything
ASCII can do. {Microsoft Word, latex, HTML and DocBook can do anything ASCII
can do}

  I'm not certain that this would be the case for a sufficiently constrained
DTD. Something at the level of complexity of the MAN nroff macros in
formatting ability.

    Vernon> Absolutely all of us have ideas for improving of the form of
    Vernon> RFC's, but it's a lot harder to say something useful about RFC
    Vernon> contents.  Thus, those who have not yet found an opportunity to
    Vernon> Contribute To The Standards Process see opportunities in
    Vernon> "implementing modern text preparation in the IETF" (with
    Vernon> "implement" as in "implement TCP/IP in a corporate network").  It
    Vernon> seems clear that some of those who are adamant about replacing
    Vernon> boring old ASCII are more readers than authors or editors.
    Vernon> Worse, I suspect a few have not spent much time reading the ASCII
    Vernon> stuff and would read little in any format, not matter how modern.

  I tend to agree with your comments.

    Vernon> I've noticed the resounding silence of some who have made
    Vernon> substantive contributions that might facilitate a transition to
    Vernon> using XML for ID's.  Why do is that?  Could it be that they
    Vernon> distinguish tools for writing (e.g. XML authoring tools) from the
    Vernon> form and utility of an RFC?

  I've done all my drafts in DocBook with an "sgml2rfc" translator that
was cooked up. I know others that have done the same. More recently, I've
been using an "rfc.el", but I may go back to sgml2rfc. Given that I already
have something in SGML, the info is already there.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
        mailto:mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
mailto:mcr(_at_)solidum(_dot_)com