Meeting logistics cost, convenience and risk

2001-03-28 12:30:02
At 06:30 AM 3/28/2001, John C Klensin wrote:
Subject to constraints of invitations and practicality, part of

Continued reliance on invitations and hosts ensure several problems.

One is that we tend to lock in a location one year later than we should. Should be 2 years, and we tend to run no better than 1. That constrains choice and that either increases price or decreases convenience.

Another is that the host is usually not skilled at the relevant technical details for a conference. Usually the host compensates by throwing massive money or staff at the problem; usually that is sufficient. With regularity, it is not.

If we are serious about trying to optimize the meeting in terms of cost, reliability and convenience, we need to choose a standard set of extremely convenient (and less expensive) locations and then keep using them.

Re-use reduces learning curve and that reduces problems (and cost).

the plan has been to do this statistically.  I.e., when 2/3 of
the active participants are from outside the USA, I assume we

As I believe Randy Bush pointed out, the flaw in this analytic methodology is that a meeting in the US is an unequal barrier to participation from outside the US. I'm not "voting" for changing the current proportion of US/non-US meetings, but do feel compelled to note the danger in using history as the basis for deciding the future.

* There are many places which, were we to hold meetings in them,
would set off concerns about junketing and tourism of other
sorts. Many organizations have rules about "conventions" which
IETF escapes but which would get invoked if we started a regular
tour of known tourist locations in season.

On the average, IETF decisions are best made when they focus on the primary concerns of a situation and not on the ever-present mass of other issues.

Worrying about possible rules that some organizations might have is like worrying about national encryption laws. It's distracting and reduces the quality of our product. We clearly made the right choice to ignore national variation in security laws.

We should equally ignore all but the essential factors in making meeting logistics "optimal". My own view is that optimal is determined by access convenience (international hub), cost, and reliability of networking and presentation services.

Three factors are more than enough the try to optimize.

The rest need to be ignored.

If we are serious about the issues that cause complaints about IETF meeting logistics.

d/

Dave Crocker   <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg InternetWorking   <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel: +1.408.246.8253;   fax: +1.408.273.6464