Re: Deja Vu

2001-03-28 09:00:03
Having lived in New Zealand, Europe and (this week) in Chicago, I have
to say that the US is a pretty good location for the majority of IETF
meetings, for many practical reasons. I've never been offended by
having to cross the ocean; with air fares as illogical as they are, it
isn't even a cost issue. One meeting a year outside the US seems
fine to me.

   Brian

"Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" wrote:

IETF meetings are held because they are beneficial to accomplishing
the work of the IETF, not to promoate some sort of internationalism.
Thus far they have been geographically distributed roughly as the
recent IETF meeting attendees locations has been geographically
distributed.  (Availability of hosts and facilities is obviously also
a factor.)  As long as about 2/3 of the IETF attendees are from North
America, 2/3 of the meetings should be in North America.

Donald

PS: I don't think that being accessible via a direct flight should be
a controlling factor.  I usually don't take a direct flight to or from
the IETF meeting although I live in the USA and I don't see this as a
problem.