Re: WG Review: Open Pluggable Edge Services (opes)

2001-06-18 15:40:02
How is this enforced? I.e., what prevents an ISP from running an ad-insertion service using OPES mechanisms in transparent proxies?

I know that the group working on OPES doesn't intend these uses. However, there isn't anything in the design that will prevent them (please tell me if I've missed something), and everything I've seen indicates that interposition of services by access providers is by far the largest market for this technology.

Cheers,

Maciocco, Christian wrote:

Publishers care if their content is damaged in flight (e.g. proxies which remove or alter content, which includes AOL's mangling of graphics). They also may care to know how many people and which people are

accessing content.

One advantages offered by OPES is that the publisher only allows their
trusted services to be run at the edge(s) of the network. Services are run
explicitely, not transparently.

I think OPES will further the sale of SSL accelerator boxes and web certificates. If the only way to protect content from uninvited third-party intermediaries, then content which is not otherwise confidential is going to be encrypted.

It's one thing if the publisher purposely buys the services of a content delivery network, it's quite something else when someone

inserts a
transparent proxy, especially one which alters the content.

See above.

Christian