Re: WG Review: Open Pluggable Edge Services (opes)

2001-06-19 08:00:02
Mark Nottingham wrote:

These are the most common potentially damaging uses of ICAP, either
currently in use or discussed:

   Insert ads.
   Insert a 'console' to 'brand' the browsing session.
   Rewrite links.

[...]

Of course publishers can protect against these things; they can run all
of their content over SSL/TLS, watermark everything, etc.

Or they can file suit for copyright violation: I put up my documents to be
distributed to end users; there may be an implicit license to redistribute
them from a caching proxy, but that does not include a license to
redistribute *modified* versions.

(In the US, an ISP who does ad insertion may even be committing criminal
copyright violation, since they're profiting from the violation.)

|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|eCal Corp.      |You're just jealous because the voices only talk|
|francis(_at_)ecal(_dot_)com|to me.                                          |