Re: WG Review: Open Pluggable Edge Services (opes)

2001-06-19 08:10:02
Keith-
Our interest in OPES and the interest of the folks we are working with
are not with services such as unrequested ad insertion or other items that might
be viewed as offensive. Lots of things can be mis-used, SPAM email
is a better example; we even get it on the working group mailing lists, ever
read the WEBI mailing list?

Although you have made many comments on the charter as well
as your thoughts during the open area applications meeting I have not
seen you at the OPES BOFs or OPES workshops. There you could
hear a diverse set of applications that I would be surprised if you would
feel to be offensive. We plan to have a '"Deployment Scenarios" document
that describes a range of applications and constructive comments from
you would be appreciated.

Offensive services can be done at the server end of things as well, such
as ad-insertion; so the edge architecture is not the issue. We have
recorded your key point that is doing modifications on the content
without the permission of the "ends" (client and server) of the operation.
OPES is quite clear about this requirement.

So, I would like to distinguish "Keith offensive services" regardless
of where there are done from the architecture being discussed
under the proposed OPES working group. Maybe someday a
I-D on "Keith offensive services" could be generated but its
not clear that people building these services would care. These people
are not the OPES team.

Michael

At 10:45 PM 6/18/2001 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> IMHO OPES can offer a standard way of defining and running services but
> cannot prevent people from mis-using it.

yes, but is there a significant need for these services outside of
the mis-uses of those services?

and given that a significant amount of folks seem to want these for the sole
purpose of abusing the rights of content-providers, will this group basically
be using IETF's reputation to try to legitimize the practice?

Keith

p.s. reminds me of an old Tom Lehrer song
"when rockets go up, who cares where they come down...that's not my department"

Michael W. Condry
Director,  Network Edge Technology