Re: OPES charter proposal again.

2001-07-03 23:10:02
I hope that the latest attempt at the OPES charter is resoundingly
rejected by the IESG.

If it is not, though, I would suggest these three special requirements
for an OPES working group:

1. The Security Considerations section could be required to be placed
at the front of all OPES drafts, following the legend, "This OPES
working group publication is required to have a Security Considerations
section that meets certain requirements [cite BCP].  Readers are
encouraged to confirm for themselves that the Security Considerations
section requirements have been met."

2. Another section, "Ethics Considerations," could follow immediatly
thereafter, and explore the ethical implications of the technology
being described, in terms of privacy, disclosure and other terms of
service requirments, and impacts upon common carrier feasability.

3. A third section, "Legal Considerations," could survey and cite the
laws that could be inadvertently violated by careless implementation
or use of the technology described, such as the U.S.'s Electronics
Communications Privacy Act.

Cheers,
James